The Trump administration secretly called Iran’s most feared military force, the Revolutionary Guard, while publicly negotiating with Iran’s official diplomats.
Quick Take
- Axios reports Trump officials used Kurdistan Region President Nechirvan Barzani as a secret go-between with Iran’s Revolutionary Guard.
- Then-Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard allegedly called Barzani in May to reach Guard commander General Ahmad Vahidi.
- The move bypassed Iran’s official negotiators, including Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.
- Iranian officials and the Revolutionary Guard have denied several related claims, calling some reports “completely false.”
- Backchannel diplomacy between Washington and Tehran has a long history, often denied in public even while it continues in private.
A Direct Line to Tehran’s Military Wing
Trump administration officials went around Iran’s negotiators and reached out straight to leaders of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, according to an Axios investigation. The outlet says Nechirvan Barzani, president of the Kurdistan Region in Iraq, served as the secret contact. Two sources with direct knowledge of the effort told Axios that then-Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard called Barzani around May 10 to set the channel in motion.
Barzani was chosen because he holds rare trust from both American and Iranian officials, the report says. Gabbard reportedly asked him to reach Guard commander General Ahmad Vahidi and ask whether the Guard backed the ongoing peace talks. Barzani then relayed Vahidi’s response back to Washington, according to sources familiar with the exchange.
Bypassing Iran’s Official Negotiators
The backchannel appears to have grown out of American doubts about Iran’s public negotiating team. Officials reportedly worried that Parliament Speaker Ghalibaf and Foreign Minister Araghchi could not guarantee that any deal would hold with the Guard, Iran’s most powerful security force. So Washington sought its own confirmation straight from Guard leadership.
Fox News later reported that the White House explored holding secret face-to-face talks in Erbil, the Kurdish regional capital. That meeting reportedly never happened after Iranian officials raised security concerns. Still, the earlier phone contact reportedly confirmed that the Guard preferred negotiation over continued fighting, helping shape the path toward a later agreement.
Iran Pushes Back Hard
Iranian officials have repeatedly denied related claims of direct U.S. contact, though none of the public denials found so far names the Barzani channel specifically. Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said messages arrived through “friendly countries” about a U.S. request for talks, but insisted “no negotiations or talks with the United States” had taken place during the war period.
Foreign Minister Araghchi separately rejected claims that any backchannel was active, calling such reports misleading and saying there was “no back channel that has been activated” to manage the conflict. Guard spokesman Hossein Mohebi also called reports of a direct U.S.-Iran line over the Strait of Hormuz “completely false,” adding flatly that it “will not happen”.
These denials focus on broader claims of open, ongoing talks or a direct hotline rather than the specific one-time contact through Barzani. That gap matters. A government can truthfully deny a formal negotiating channel while a quieter, single relayed message still took place behind the scenes.
A Familiar Pattern in U.S.-Iran Diplomacy
Secret contact between Washington and Tehran is not new. Switzerland has represented American interests in Iran since shortly after the 1979 revolution, and Oman has repeatedly hosted indirect talks between the two countries, including during past nuclear negotiations. Analysts describe this as a standard, if hidden, way the two governments manage tension without formal ties.
THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION ESTABLISHED A SECRET BACKCHANNEL TO IRAN'S IRGC, WITH TRUMP USING KURDISTAN PRESIDENT BARZANI TO REACH AN IRGC COMMANDER AND IRAQ'S BARZANI OFFERING TO HELP RESTART US-IRAN NEGOTIATIONS – AXIOS CORRESPONDENT BARAK RAVID
— First Squawk (@FirstSquawk) August 16, 2026
For Americans watching from both sides of the political aisle, the episode raises a familiar question. Voters on the left and right alike often distrust when major decisions about war and peace get made through secret calls rather than open process, even when the outcome, in this case reportedly a step toward de-escalation, may be one most people would welcome. Transparency and results do not always arrive together.
Whether the Barzani channel directly shaped the later cooling of hostilities between the United States and Iran remains something only insiders can fully confirm. But the reported existence of a secret line to the Revolutionary Guard, separate from Iran’s public negotiators, shows how much of modern diplomacy happens far from public view, often only surfacing months later through reporting like this.
Sources:
feedpress.me, axios.com, cryptobriefing.com, x.com, shafaq.com, en.mehrnews.com
© prospernews.net 2026. All rights reserved.















